Not being able to eat gluten, dairy, eggs, beef, garlic, and certain fruits and beans (and rice and nuts only once a week) can sometimes be a little challenging. So while I'm no expert -- as I've only been living without for about three and a half months -- there are a few things I've learned about making it a little easier.
1.Try new things. I've discovered sauteed veggies with lime are really amazing, and a solid alternative to enchiladas or cheesy nachos. Raspberry jam on oatmeal makes for a tasty dessert. Coffee with honey rather than cream is amazing. Gluten-dairy-egg-sugar free pumpkin pie actually turned out really yummy! As they say, "necessity is the mother of invention," and these are things I likely wouldn't have discovered without needing to find an alternative.
2. Have an indulgence. Whether it's the occasional cup of coffee or sugary treat or bowl of chips, indulging every now and again on a "legal" treat definitely helps. Though it may not exactly be the healthiest choice, I think it's definitely helpful to still have luxuries like a latte or bowl of sorbet when you need a treat or are feeling deprived. Plus, it can be fun to experiment with different recipes for desserts and snacks. (Homemade sweet potato chips, anyone?)
3. Don't try to replace what you can't have. Vegan cheese on gluten/egg free bread? Ya, not the greatest idea I've ever had. Trying to replicate a favorite food that you just can't have usually leads to feeling even more deprived, at least in my experience. Though some things are more interchangeable than others (spaghetti squash or shredded zucchini for pasta, for example) some things really just aren't (grilled cheese sandwiches).
4. Eat before you go places. Whether it's a church event, dinner at a friend's house, or a birthday party, there's bound to be food. Generally at these types of social functions, I can eat from the raw veggie tray and possibly the chips and salsa bowl (if either are being served). So, I choose to eat something more substantive before I go and snack politely on whatever I can find while I'm there. It works and I don't feel deprived since I'm not starving.
5. Get enough. Without enough calories and carbohydrates, you just feel awful, tired, or deprived. Vegetables all day will usually fill me up, but if I don't make sure to get enough protein or starch/grain/carb, I end up starving or not feeling well (especially with a workout). If you're feeling starving because you can no longer eat what you're used to, it's really important to be intentional about finding other options and eating enough.
6. Be around supportive people! This is truly the most important! I'm thankful I live with a very supportive friend who makes me meals and snacks I can eat, and who tastes some of the weird recipes I make. :) My mother is amazing and also experiments with recipes and always has food I can eat at family dinners. Being around people who support you makes it much, much easier and I'm incredibly grateful for the people in my life who care about me.
So there's my very newbie list of tips. Add to my list and share what works for you!
No comments:
Post a Comment