Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Day at the Airport...

Air travel can definitely present interesting situations, unique dilemmas, and just flat-out entertaining people. Though it is only 10:14 a.m., my day has already been sprinkled with humor through various situations at various airports.

Yesterday morning I decided to get checked-in online early and print my boarding passes. After patiently waiting for the computer to do its thing and let me check in, I hit the "print" button to get the boarding passes. Unbeknownst to me, someone had loaded our computer full of colorful construction paper. So, my flight documents are printed on yellow, orange, and magenta colored paper! The guy taking tickets at 6 a.m. this morning was humored by the brightly colored paper I handed him, and said it was the most unique ticket he had ever seen at Southwest. So ya, I am pretty special! ;) 

This morning, around 5 a.m., I was going through security. The guy in front of me pulled out 5 of those plastic bins you are supposed to put shoes, change, and computers in. I assumed, incorrectly, that he has no intention of using FIVE bins. What do you put in 5 bins? So I asked him if he was planning to use them all and he grumbled, "yes", at me. I collected a bin of my own and assembled my belongings in there, highly entertained at the guy in front of me trying to get 5 bins into the x-ray machine with only two hands. 

Layovers are fun. "Layovers?! Is that like a sleepover?! Movies, popcorn, PAJAMAS?"
"No it is called a layover because you will be so exhausted you will be willing to lay all over the airport. You know, anywhere where it is flat, you'll just lay there."

We landed a little early, so I had 3.5 hours to kill in the Denver International Airport. I walked through the C terminal, up it and then back down, and then for about a half hour attempted, quite unsuccessfully, to get onto the airport's wi-fi. So I opted to work on a project in Microsoft Word, again unsuccessfully. Word is suuuuper picky when you use text boxes and it kept trapping me in mine so that was a fail. I gave up and went on a hunt for lunch. (Denver has this really nice hunting area right near the airport in the basement. You know, with deer and elk and stuff. They even provide the firearms since you cannot take them on the plane for convenience for the travelers. Pretty handy.) Kidding. Instead, I boarded the tram that took me to the other terminal in the airport. After ascending several escalators, which just make you feel so lazy, I ordered a really yummy taco salad and sat down to eat that. I decided to try to get on the wi-fi again but it still did not work so I used the Pilot-Crew wi-fi, which is surprisingly un-password protected. If I get arrested, you all will know why.

I always bring my Nalgene bottle on airplane trips but with all the TSA rules you have to dump out your water before getting on the plane. So I am sitting here typing this PARCHED because I missed drink time on the plane (Naps rock though, so no complaints) and do not want to lose my wi-fi connection by walking the 50 yards to the water fountain to fill up my water bottle. If I die of dehydration, you all will know why.

Fashion advice of the day:
1. Ruffle skirt wanna-be's (i.e. gaucho/cullote style pants) add about 20 pounds to your figure. If you are going for the "wow you lost so much weight" comments upon changing out of said ruffle pants into normal one, you're on the right track.
2. Sleeve tattoos do not qualify as a shirt. If you think you will attain more modesty, warmth, or comfort by wearing a too-small tank top and using your tattoos as a shirt substitute, you probably need to re-think that.
3. Ladies wearing 6 inch heels, what is your problem??? You WALK a lot in this airport, why would you make your life any harder than it has to be by wearing those heels?

I digress.

Now I am off to hand my neon orange boarding card to the next unsuspecting ticket taker, hoping to make his day as well. :)

What are you doing today? Not being entertained by airport personnel, I trust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment