Thursday, November 3, 2011

I scream, you scream, we all scream for... pumpkin

One of the main ingredients of Autumn cooking is PUMPKIN. My family are pumpkin-holics and each member thoroughly enjoys the various pumpkin dishes that get made around this time of year. So I thought I'd blog a few of our favorite pumpkin recipes in honor of the season! :-) 





Pumpkin Pancakes 
Yield: 24 pancakes 



  • 3 cups milk
  • 2 cups pumpkin puree
  • 2 egg
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup unbleached flour
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons evaporated cane juice crystals
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons ground allspice
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt


Pumpkin Bread 

1 cup evaporated cane juice crystals (or 1/2 brown sugar, 1/2 white sugar) 
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup unsweet applesauce
3 eggs
15 oz. pumpkin puree
2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached flour
1 1/2 tsp. ground cloves 
4 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. powder ginger
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt 

Mix all ingredients and pour evenly into two loaf pans. Bake at 350 for about an hour... check at 45 minutes. 

This pumpkin bread is pretty "spicy" so you could cut down on the seasonings if you want something a little milder... 

Pumpkin Muffins 
Yield: 12 muffins

1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. unbleached flour
1 1/2 TBSP. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/3 c. evaporated cane juice crystals
1/2 c. pumpkin puree
3 TBSP. oil
3/4 c. milk 
1 Egg
Chocolate chips (If you're Mercy) 

Mix ingredients and pour evenly into greased muffin pan. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. 

These are the muffins I made for the Andrew Peterson concert road trip. :-) 

Or, if you're Mercy... 

Pumpkin Cream Cheese

Mix pumpkin puree, cinnamon, and a little allspice with cream cheese... YUM 


So there is a little sampling of all the lovely, yummy things I have been making lately that are probably not very good for us, but taste good. :D I am going to try a pumpkin soup recipe with beans and vegetables and we'll see how it turns out... I am also going to attempt healthy pumpkin cookies and possibly pumpkin scones. My Mom put pumpkin in her morning green smoothies and evidently it is really tasty, so if any one is brave enough to try that, there's an idea too. :-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment