Friday, November 4, 2011

2011 Volleyball Musings

This past volleyball season was completely fantastic and I am quite disappointed it's come to an end so quickly. This season was so different from the previous one, but so. much. fun. I learned so much... about volleyball and about life, and I would not trade these past few months for anything.

I think that I first knew it was going to be a fun season, was at the JEM summer camp when we played "Barnacle". It is officially one of my favorite games to play, just to let you know, and is so much fun. :-) The first day my dear friend Mariko and I were the last two and she ended up winning... this was the first of several Barnacle games to come, and I have had an immensely fun time with each game. (One especially that sticks out in my mind was competing with Liberty as the last two people, sprinting and pushing each other around the gym... or running into the wall at BFCC and supposedly making a dent according to some of my team mates... whatever it takes people! :D)

Then we started learning to do diving and rolls at the camp, and I was getting frustrated with them and thinking "ugh I don't think I like these very well". And after doing them over and over and over, and not being able to do them well AT ALL, I purposed in my mind that I was going to understand how to do these rolls well even if it killed me. Thankfully we got a lot of practice over the season, I think I've gotten alright at them, and I'm not dead. ;-)

Then the actual season started and the team started practicing together. I am so super blessed by each one of the amazing girls that I am privileged to call team mates. The fact that these girls are some of the sweetest, most encouraging young women on this planet is such a huge blessing. We all learned so much together and grew in immeasurable ways. It is amazing what you can accomplish when you rely on Christ and focus on others rather than yourself. I truly believe that as individuals and as a team, we gave this season - each game, each point, each play - to Christ as an offering to glorify Him. And I truly believe He was honored.

It was a little bit different having Caleb coaching us for the most part. I was not quite sure if I was going to like it very well, but his coaching ended up being a huge blessing. I felt like I learned so much every time I stepped onto the court for practice, game, or whatever. He poured his time into all of us girls, and I am so thankful for the skills he taught us and the way he centered everything on Christ.

This season was unique because we had three seniors on the Varsity team... last year when I played volleyball, we did not have any seniors so it was kind of interesting knowing that it was these girls' last year. I am so thankful for each one of them... and thankful for the amazing ladies they are on and off the court. Their Senior night was really cool, seeing each one of their families supporting them and them getting flowers and all that good stuff... We won which was an added bonus I think. :-)

Overall this season has been an incredible time of learning new skills and practicing them, as well as growing closer as a team and closer to Christ. I am so thankful for the opportunity to play and for each one of the girls I am blessed to play with!

Highlight favorite skills I learned/practiced... Blocking! Hitting 1s... Alora and I are going to ROCK them next season! Hitting 2s :D

No comments:

Post a Comment