San Onofre
There's something utterly amazing about entering a village. Seeing the simplicity, the community, the unique aspects of rural life during that initial glance as you begin to take in your new environment -- I hope to experience many more of these moments.
I told some friends that a week in a village is kind of like camping. Although I have never particularly enjoyed camping, I am coming to realize that it's not the lack of showers or technology or conveniences that I don't like about it. Rather, I think it's more that I don't like the all the amenities we attempt to integrate into camping. We try to make life so much more complicated than it needs to be.
How many times am I guilty of peering over the simple solution to something in exchange for stress and worry, making something far more difficult than it actually is. I'm reminded of how we do this so often in our walk with Christ. Daily, follow Him. That's it. Whatever that looks like, the bottom line is simple.
I love the quiet moments, face to face conversations, refreshing bucket baths, and open air of this rural community. (So far I am still enjoying gallo pinto and corn tortillas three times a day too!) The community has welcomed our team and despite the language barrier, their love and hospitality is so special.
The health material is basic information that most kids in the US will learn by the time they're out of middle school. But it's so needed. Simple is needed.
As we spend time with the community members teaching, interacting, practicing, and sharing, I am praying for the eternal purpose of God to be worked in and through us.
I have established a reputation amongst the team for being able to sleep whatever the circumstances. I just put in my dollar store earplugs, pull my mosquito net down, nestle into my cot, and I am out. But tonight I am just so riled up about the beauty of these moments, the beauty of these people, the beauty of the God we serve, that I am compelled to spend some time writing before sleep. So often it seems life moves so quickly we forget to reflect and give thanks.
So I am thankful for the teaching we get to do with these people to empower them to take care of one another for many years to come. I am thankful for the quiet break from routine, the relationships being built, the bucket baths that are refuge from the heat, and all the gallo pinto. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment